Monday, October 18, 2010

A Brief History: Part 1

I've been playing video games since I was old enough to walk.  Video games have been such a large part of my life and without them I would be lost.  World of Warcraft represents the pinnacle in gaming for me, it's easily the most enjoyable game I've played. 

I started playing WoW shortly before release, sometime during the beta.  In fact, I even decided to start forming a guild long before the game came out (if you can guess the name of the guild, you get a cookie!).  I toiled away gathering random people for this guild which I was leading.  Unfortunately, most of these people I gathered would turn out to not last long, or not even join my WoW guild at all.  Those months of planning were really a failed effort and I was very naive for thinking it would work.

I knew from before I ever set foot in the game that I wanted to become a healer.  The healing mantra just fit me perfectly.  I like to have a job to do which is important and where a slight miscue can result in disaster.  I also don't like to be leading the charge for anything, so that took me out of the tanking role.  DPS just didn't seem as fun so I was dead set on healing.  Then from there I eventually settled on the priest class since that seemed to be the most healing focused of all the healing classes.

I got the game day one when I was in college, it happened to be the day right before thanksgiving break so I couldn't jump into the game until late the night of release.  I created my Night Elf priest (Cuttingedge!) on my server and away I went.  My first task in the game was to create this guild which I had been forming over the previous few months.  I of course did this in one of the noobish ways possible.  I ran up to random people and asked them if they would sign my guild charter!  Thus my guild was born.

The original goal of that guild was to be a friendly environment but to also see all the content in the game.  Unfortunately, that never really came to pass.  In vanilla WoW organization and skill were key.  It was hard enough to get 40 people together in one spot for a raid on molten core, let alone having them not suck!  So while my guild was made with all the best intentions, the better player eventually moved on to the more hardcore guilds, and the guild never made it to the end game content it was designed for.  After a few months of this I grew weary and decided that I had had enough of WoW for now.  I called it quits and canceled my account 9 months after the day WoW went live.

But that was only the beginning...

No comments:

Post a Comment